I love Christmas music. I might actually be a tiny bit obsessed with it. But, I only love it between the day after Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. It’s possible that a few carols can swing in until New Year’s, but that’s only slightly tolerated. One of my favorite Christmas songs is “Christmas Time’s A’Comin” as sung by Emmylou Harris. And when Christmas time comes, well “Cookin’ Time’s A’Comin.”
Very few things beat homemade goodness in my mind. Bring me your tasty treats fresh out of the oven! Seriously, bring them. This year I whipped up some homemade goodness in no time. These little candied, curried peanuts are a breeze to make and the flavor profile will have your gift-ees asking “Shat is that?” Don’t tell them. Let’s make it our little secret. K? K!
Then, ball it up and tie a bow around it. Who wouldn’t want that? Who wouldn’t get a little merrier?
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp madras curry powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ water
- 2 cups raw, shelled peanuts (with or without skin)
- Preheat your over to 300.
- Place the sugar, spices, and salt in a heavy bottom saucepan. Stir to combine.
- Add the water and cook over medium high heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the peanuts and cook until the syrup has evaporated. This will take 15-20 minutes. Stir frequently, but not constantly. The peanuts are ready when the syrup begins to foam just a bit.
- Pour peanuts onto a sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Let cool on pan and store in an airtight container.